10/20/09

Lizzie Chapman, Alice Chapman, Anwar Sultan

Anwar was a member of the Dimond community for over 10 years. I met him and his wife Svetlana when they moved to Oakland in 1985 with their sons Akbar and Omar. We lived in the same apartment building on Dimond Avenue and my daughter Lizzie and Omar became best friends for years.

Anwar was from Afghanistan and received his Ph.D. in math and physics from Moscow University where he met Svetlana. He was a math professor at Kabul University from 1970 to 1983 and left Afghanistan during the time his country had a communist government.

Lizzie, Anwar, Omar and Anwar's brother Lal who
still lives in Dimond. Lal's son is behind Anwar
Circa 1988 in Dimond Park

During the summer, Anwar and I would walk down Dimond Avenue to the park with Omar and Lizzie who would would enjoy the play area near the Rec Center while Anwar and I talked.

I'll always remember Anwar as an intelligent and kind man.


No comments:

Post a Comment